Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Ritual of My Morning Cup


I took my favorite coffee cup and made rings of black coffee.
I have a real eagerness to get to the coffee part of my morning.  I'll even get up early so that I have an extra half hour to sit and do nothing but cradle the cup in my hands and complete my morning coffee ritual.

I am not even so particular about having the perfect cup- but I AM particular about not cooking, talking or working on anything while I have my coffee.  






I like to go outside and sit. Just sit and look and listen to the birds.



The second part of the background was adding the allover dashes with a brown pencil and a wash of coffee 
all over everywhere but the coffee circles.  Next came the pink paint and a sketch of the coffee cup.  This is not my actual cup, which is a huge deep mug. 
And why not pink steam?

















I'm not a big fan of symmetry, but I like balance.
Opposite the cup: Pink framed spoon.
(yellow bleed through from another page will be dealt with!)

I might light a candle or some incense if I can't get outside.  Sometimes there is a little dog who needs to sit and meditate with me.  

The key thing during coffee time is not to plan for the day. No mental packing of paperwork, review of lesson plans or figuring out what to put in the crock pot.

I joke about sitting without a thought in my head sometimes, but it actually takes quite a lot of discipline to just sit in one place for half and hour and be in the moment.  

Meditation is not hard to learn, but frequent practice is the key to getting the most from it.

This journal entry was a part of the Pagan Art Journal Project about using mundane activity as ritual.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! You're fast lady! I love those moments of quiet contemplation/meditation in the morning. Need to remember to make more time for them!

    ReplyDelete

Of course I want to hear what you think!