Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pomander Bath Fizz

Real pomanders started in Renascence Europe and mean "apple of amber".
They were carried about to keep dangerous vapors away.

Scented Solsitice gifts are the way to satisfy my creative urges during this week of holiday bustle. This year's offerings include bath treats for my sister and daughter. Each of them are seriously hip, work like devils at high pressure jobs one on Wall Street and as one as Director of pretty-much-everything in a city hospital. They fly back and forth between NYC and Austin TX to visit one another for concerts and weekend getaways. To them, I am the shining example of the slow, centered life.
This year's offering, in addition to my already famous Rosemary and Lemon shampoo (I don't provide conditioner because everyone is so fussy about her own, but I one day hope to make one using Argan Oil, probably scented to match the shampoo) I am making Bath Bombs, those fizzy balls you toss into the bath to create havoc and scent. In the past I have searched for scented products one could add to the whirlpool without creating a souffle of suds. Finally, I realized that with just my own essential oils (which I already have for scent and Craft uses) I can have fancy bath toys for myself and my hip-girls.

1 ounce Sweet Orange Essence EO
1/2 ounce Lime Essence EO
1/2 ounce Tangerine Essence EO
We make pomanders by poking holes for cloves into oranges
with a skewer. They represent the Sun we miss during the Winter.
1/2 ounce Lemon Essence EO
1/16th ounce Cinnamon Bark tincture*
1/8th ounce Allspice tincture*
1/8th ounce Ginger EO
1/8th ounce Clove Bud Absolute
  • Mix 1/2C Epsom salt (or Epsom and sea salt mixture for a variety in texture) with 
  • Citric acid 1/2C
  • Baking soda  1/2C
  • Cornstarch 1/2C
  • 15 drops total of the above essential oil (EO) recipe. 
  • add 1/2 teaspoon of Jojoba oil as a carrier oil.
  • add one drop at a time of food color of you like, I do not.
  • add 1/4 teaspoon fine grind orange peel or crushed cloves, also optional, this will not dissolve.
  • mix mix mix.
with molding form (muffin tin, ice cream sccop) ready, add
  • 1/2 teaspoon (or slightly more) of water from a spray bottle.
Mix with your hands, quickly form into balls or pack into shaped molds. it does not take long to harden. Turn out onto foil and let stand 1 day. Wrap. Impress those hip chicks.
Be aware, this scent recipe makes what might be a lifetime supply of Solstice Pomander scent. Terrific if you are interested in making room spray, perfume bath oils and bath bombs for scent layering for several people's gifts.  Not terrific if you want only 2 big bath bombs.  Reduce recipe by proportion by substituting 8 drops for each 1 oz of EO (essential Oil). *Tinctures are something I can make using 1/2 oz high proof vodka with the dry spice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course I want to hear what you think!